Greater Cincinnati Radio Control Club Greater Cincinnati Radio Control Club Greater Cincinnati Radio Control Club  
  Wednesday, February 22, 2017 


home r/c basics photo gallery building flightline links





Academy of Model Aeronautics
Charter Club #1012

GCRCC History

The Greater Cincinnati Radio Control Club

GCRCC History, Revision 3

15 January 2005

The club as sit exists today originated in 1960.  Prior to this, the Radio Control modeling pioneers were flying at the West Fork Dam in Winton Woods.  Radios were single channel, had tubes and were large and bulky.

The original group of fliers was broken up by a large GE layoff in 1957.  In 1958, the Queen City Radio Control Club was formed and the group was incorporated as the Greater Cincinnati Radio Control Club in 1960.  Meetings were held at the Saint Gabriel Church in Glendale .

By 1962 the club had grown and other changes were spurring the evolution of the club.  A user fee of $250 per year was imposed by the Park Board so the club initiated its first site search.  (The Dam Site was still in use as an RC flying site until the Park Board closed it in 1973.)

GCRCC moved to the St. Francis Center grounds in 1964 thanks to the efforts of Roger Williams and others.  At that time flying was done across the road at the soccer and softball fields.  The club moved to the area abutting Winton Woods Park in 1974.  The ground was leased from the St. Francis Center on a yearly basis.  A shelter was erected in 1976 and was used by club members and seminarians.  The shelter was gradually enclosed over the years and became a clubhouse with a fireplace.  Father Ric Schneider led most of the efforts in this development.

In 1977 the Flying Proficiency Program was started.  A committee developed the initial criteria and definitions of various levels of proficiency.  This program grew until it was second to none in the region.  Relations with the St. Francis Center , Winton Woods Park and the neighbors along Springdale Road were very good.  One issue remained a constant goal: to prevent flying over restricted areas.  It is interesting to note that this is still an area of emphasis with our new landlords and current flying location.

In October of 1990 the club house was burned to the ground.  The cause was never officially determined, but the insurance company paid off and the club had enough cash on hand to rebuild the shelter and repave the runway.  That shelter was carefully taken down and rebuilt at our current site.  In 1997, the club had approximately 100 members and was very active in charity and civic affairs in the community.  That spirit of activism and participation continues today.  Every year, an air show known as the Flying Circus was put on as a fundraising activity and to get the community interested in model aviation.

In the summer of 1998, the club was informed that their lease with the St. Francis Center was being terminated.  Fortunately, we were able to hold our annual flying circus that year as the last event at the center before we made way for further development of the grounds.  An intense search for a new site was initiated, with a goal of having the new field ready for the 1999 air show.  A site was located and negotiations with Cinergy resulted in a lease for acreage at the Cinergy Woodsdale Power Plant.  The grounds were prepared and the runway was laid in time for the spring flying season.  This major effort was accomplished by the hard work of many club members.  The location was dubbed the ĎField of Dreamsí because of its size and openness.  After decades of flying at a site on the border of Winton Woods with its immense trees looming just yards from the runway, the new site fit perfectly into the specifications for the best flying site available.  The 1999 Flying Circus was indeed a success with nearly 2000 visitors over two days of hot flying weather.

In 2003 the air show was relocated to the Butler County Regional Airport so that it could be expanded to celebrate the 100th anniversary of powered flight.  That event was so successful that it was repeated in 2004 and a decision was made to hold the air show each year at the airport.

The Greater Cincinnati Radio Club remains true to its origins in the new century.  We continue to be active in local affairs, sponsoring local kidís sports teams and inviting them to a picnic, as well as maintaining contact with Cinergy and the local Park Board.  Our annual Kidís Fly to benefit the local chapter of the Spina Bifida Association is well received and other charities continue to benefit from our altruistic natures.  We sponsor many regional events and fly-ins such as the Moon Shot pylon race, the Cliff Kell Giant Scale fly-in and a low-key electric meet.  This group spirit and camaraderie is what makes this club stand out in our region.  It does take much hard work to keep the site running.  Your participation is needed to keep the site in shape and to help with the events, especially the flying circus.  The working together as a team attitude in all we do is what makes our group such fun to be with.  Please donít hesitate to join in and benefit from the social efforts of the club.  The most common observation from new members who are experienced fliers is that we are very open and friendly and have no groups who oppose each other and keep grudges going.  That is what makes this hobby fun.

 

Original document created by Ed Obermeyer , Sr.

First revision in May, 1995

Second revision in April, 1997

Third revision in January, 2005 



 

 

 

 



©2001 Greater Cincinnati Radio Control Club
Site design by Quasipop Digital